Betroffenheit - So. Good. So. Incredibly. Good.

There's something so wonderful about seeing a show that not only lives up to the hype but actually exceeds it. I see A LOT of theatre. I can't tell you the number of times a show has been described to me as "awesome" or "amazing" or "incredible"... I've likely overused those words myself...

When I went to Betroffenheit I was hopeful for a good solid show, what I saw was awesome, amazing, incredible and so much more than I expected. It's hard to describe as it's really a show about a state of being - the state of being after an incredible loss or trauma - and the cycle of trying to get through that and be normal and perhaps the realization that normal will never be normal again. Capturing that seems like an impossible task but somehow they have. The execution is so incredibly precise you feel like like what you are watching can't possibly be live - but. it. is. And while so precise, the performers are also at all times 100% present - nothing feels false - it's surreal in many ways, but always right there in a very honest and real way.

I could talk about the incredible physical ability of all of the 6 performers - it's mind-blowing. I could talk about the incredible choreography that communicates so much bot emotionally and physically. I could talk about the super-human way they move around the stage - are they coated in teflon? I could talk about how they flawlessly use a voice recording as a score and how the merest movement of a finger communicates so much. I could talk about the incredible lighting and use of set in a way that made both feel alive themselves.

Really, you just have to go see it. And then when you next see me, just say "Betroffenheit" and we will nod at each other and say, "yeah... "

Betroffenheit has only 2 more performances - Saturday, March 31st at 8:00 p.m. and Sunday, April 1st at 2:00 p.m. Click here for tickets.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUMMER READING! #yegbookclub

Fringe #42 - Sat, Aug 19 - Three Great Musicals and More WORD OF MOUTH Recommendations!

Bringing The Color Purple to the Stage with Joyous Song and Truthful Storytelling!