February #YEG Theatre Plans For Me!

After a fairly busy January, I've started mapping out my February theatre plans.  There are a lot of things on so it's making me choose carefully.

Of course, it's time for the Chinook Series (on now).  There are quite a few shows that are on throughout the festival so you should check out the schedule and find something! I'm going to be seeing Ursa Major, for sure. It looks like a beautiful love story and it's written by Meg Dart and directed by Beth Dart, both of Catch the Keys. I've heard that ugly crying might happen so I will be bringing tissues to deal with that!

After all that crying, I will be moving on to a few comedies! First up will be Boeing Boeing at Walterdale.  I saw the show at the Mayfield a few years ago and had a blast.  I'm looking forward to seeing how Walterdale handles this crazy 60's farce about a Paris bachelor who is engaged to 3 different stewardesses on different flight schedules. Trouble happens when a freak storm causes all 3 to be waylaid in Paris at the same time.  Oh, the door slamming!

I'll also be checking out the new Guys in Disguise production, Klondykes at Theatre Network. This time it's Girls in Disguise in a gender-blurring musical about women in the Klondike who skirted the law about actually being there by dressing as men. The cast is a powerhouse trio of Rebecca Ann Merkley, Amanda Neufeld and Mackenzie Reurink so you are pretty much guarenteed the music is going to be off the charts.

I'm very excited to be taking in the Buddies in Bad Times presentation The Gay Heritage Project, at the Citadel. It's just finishing up it's second run in Toronto before it heads out here and the response out East has been extremely positive.  I read the script a year ago and found it to be extremely compelling.  I'm looking forward to an evening that will be both funny and thought-provoking. It's in The Club, so I would encourage people to get their tickets now as seating is a lot more limited than in the larger theatres.

Friends have been talking a lot about Huff at the Rubaboo Festival put on by Alberta Aboriginal Arts. It's right across the street at the Stanley Milner library so I am hoping to squeeze it into my schedule this week.  The festival has other offerings, if Huff doesn't seem to be your cup of tea, but it only runs to February 6th, so act fast!

I'll also be catching the Edmonton Opera's Carmen at the Jubilee Auditorium this month. I'm excited to see an opera where I will recognize the music! They opened this past weekend and I have already had a bit of fun peeking at the photos. I'm also excited because I think I know about 5-6 people in the chorus and it is always wonderful to see talented friends onstage!

Well, this is going to get me to about the middle of the month.  I'll have to do another post when I get the second half of the month figured out! Lots to see and do in Edmonton - don't stay home - See a Show!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUMMER READING! #yegbookclub

Fringe #42 - Sat, Aug 19 - Three Great Musicals and More WORD OF MOUTH Recommendations!

Bringing The Color Purple to the Stage with Joyous Song and Truthful Storytelling!