Are We Better off Not Knowing? The Upside of Ignorance...

Thursday night I caught the Opening Night performance of Ignorance at Theatre Network (The Old Trout Puppet Workshop). First of all, I am going to say, Theatre Network does a fabulous Opening Night Reception. You must check that out. I tend to go to theatre when I can, but being there on Opening Night reminded me what kind of atmosphere an Opening can have. There is a buzz of extra electricity and then afterwards, at least at the Roxy, there was an incredible spread!

And then the show... So much dark humour in this piece. I have never seen this company before, although I had heard a lot of good things about them when they were here last for The Erotic Anguish of Don Juan. So, I didn't know exactly what to expect. It was really very good. Dark, yes, funny, yes, puppets, yes. It took me a few minutes to accept the visibility of the puppeteers, but once I did that and just went with it, I had a great time. There are quite a few twisted little death scenes (and a homicidal balloon or two) as the characters seek happiness in their own way, and the brilliant through story which reinterprets the Adam and Eve myth was very engaging. It's out of the box but with a sense of humour and without arrogance. I was also so impressed with the set and the puppets themselves. There is a delightful abstraction to the Adam and Eve creatures that makes them more endearing and the humongous antlers which frame the stage are truly impressive.

This is a great night out - for a laugh or if you want to think about the deeper issues explored (Are we happier when we know nothing?). I think I am going to seek Ignorance, however. It seems safer that way.

*#12 in my theatrical goal for the year

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUMMER READING! #yegbookclub

Fringe #42 - Sat, Aug 19 - Three Great Musicals and More WORD OF MOUTH Recommendations!

Bringing The Color Purple to the Stage with Joyous Song and Truthful Storytelling!