Another Opening... 3 shows in 1!

Last night was the Opening Night of From Cradle to Stage. As Artistic Director of WTA I have had special connection to the One Act Festival. My first show with Walterdale was in Lunatic, a show from the 2006 One Acts (I don't know if it was called From Cradle to Stage that year). I loved the idea of a community theatre producing and investing in new work. My second season at Walterdale, my play, Pieces (which I am currently re-drafting and directing for Fringe 2011) was produced. It was my first 'grown-up' play as my previously produced work was a TYA. I loved the process. I have been involved on some level with the One Acts every year I have been a member of Walterdale. I have assistant directed, coordinated the readings, and directed a staged reading. I will miss working on it. This time around I tried to stay further away so that the people involved could find their own voice. I worried, because I am the type of person who likes to know everything, but my initial instincts proved out last night. All three directors did fine work with the 3 scripts they were given to work with. The three playwrights were happy with the products (yay!). That's all I can ask for. I am debating submitting for next season. I have a couple of scripts I could send in (with work). It would be nice to come full circle. If not, I am sure I will submit in future years.

If you get a chance, check the show(s) out. It runs until May 28th at Walterdale.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUMMER READING! #yegbookclub

Fringe #42 - Sat, Aug 19 - Three Great Musicals and More WORD OF MOUTH Recommendations!

Bringing The Color Purple to the Stage with Joyous Song and Truthful Storytelling!