Second Half of the Decade in Theatre - Move to Edmonton and the Big Changes Happen...

In the summer of 2005 we moved to Edmonton. I will be honest about this. I was very apprehensive about the idea of moving. I was very worried about leaving behind my theatre life in Fort McMurray. I had written my first play and was excited about that and where I could go with that. I knew Edmonton was a great theatre town, but I didn't know what it would be like for me, a non-professional. Would I find avenues for the theatre I needed to do?

Boy, did I ever!

It started with Fiddler on the Roof, an ELOPE show. I still have many good friends from this cast and this is the show that led me to Walterdale. Although the rehearsal process for the show often seemed disorganized and chaotic, it was fun and I reconnected with Brian Bast and met Elizabeth and Jackie and Judy. The show went up in February of 2006 and from there I auditioned for the 2006 One Acts at Walterdale (Lunatic) and suddenly felt at home. I knew from that first show at Walterdale that I had found a place for theatre in Edmonton (joy!).

In the Fall of 2006 came one of my most magical theatrical experiences to date. I was in Steel Magnolias at Walterdale playing my dream role of M'Lynn with 5 wonderful women onstage with me and so many more wonderful people backstage. I met lifelong friends in that show and experienced true honesty on stage and felt that I came so far as an actor. I could be wrong, but if I can give every role what I gave to that one in that production then I will feel that I am serving the play and the audience to the best of my ability.

Then next Spring (2007) I had the honour of having my first grown-up play produced for Walterdale's One Acts. Pieces was directed by Marsha Amanova, who I met during Lunatic the year before. My good friend Anne Marie played the lead and brought a wonderful honesty to the role. I was very lucky.

The next few years seem to tumble from project to project. I joined the Walterdale Board of Directors as Secretary (fall of 2006-2009) so I stayed very involved in things there. In 2009 I took the major step of taking on the role of Artistic Director of Walterdale Theatre Associates. This role scares and thrills me. It's going well, so far!

I have had acting experiences, including Fringes (El Muchacho - 2007 and Cinderella - 2008), ELOPE (Baby - 2008), Horizon (Sky - 2009), and Walterdale (Black Hearts in the Green Room - 2008). I have also been able to direct a few things such as Crimes of the Heart (a fabulous cast and production team at Walterdale - 2008), The Last 5 Years (Round Barn/TOWTTB - a delightful two hander! - 2009), and Sweeney Todd (TOWTTB - a big challenge that stressed me to no end, but which delighted me onstage - I wasn't quite sure I was up to it until I saw it all together - crazy insecurity! - 2009).

I continued to write. I took a playwriting lab through APN in 2007 and this past summer I put that script (From Something) onstage at Interplay in Fort McMurray and at the Fringe. I was director/set-designer/playwright and it was the scariest thing I ever did. I still sting from the lukewarm reviews, but if I just think about the show and audiences I am okay. I had a wonderful group of 3 actors, a stage manager and a sound designer who have become my sisters in spirit (a couple of them already were from past experiences - but this cemented everything). I won a competition for production with Zachary and the Storytelling Stones, a children's play. Kompany! Family Theatre produced the play and it toured the Winnipeg, Saskatoon and Edmonton Fringes.

When I looked at my resume I was shocked by how many things I did in 2009. I know that I need to pull back a bit as I head into the next year. I don't want to get over extended but the opportunities are amazing. I know how to say no, but sometimes I don't want to! This next decade will be kicked off with my play Tight Rope produced at New Works at the U of A (I am busy on rewrites for that right now), then a remount of From Something for the ADFA Stage Struck! and then I go into The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, which I am directing for Walterdale. I do not know if I will be involved in the Fringe or not. I will have to wait and see. One thing is for sure, there are many, many opportunities for me and no end in sight!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUMMER READING! #yegbookclub

Fringe #42 - Sat, Aug 19 - Three Great Musicals and More WORD OF MOUTH Recommendations!

Bringing The Color Purple to the Stage with Joyous Song and Truthful Storytelling!