Being More Comfortable in my own Skin...

Today was one of Gibby's Preschool days. While he was in class I sat with a couple of other mothers in the lobby chatting about this and that. They each had a younger child with them (around 6 mo- 9 mo) and the topic came up of 'going back to work'. Both spoke about it as though it was unavoidable and I got the impression that it was for different reasons, none of which were a desire to actually be at work. Both mothers cited financial reasons and one of them also cited the fear of losing seniority. I know this is one of the things that frustrates me. Not that I can't be home. Because I can. It is because it has become a luxury to be able to stay home. A few months ago, my sister sent me an article about daycare funding which summed it up for me... "Fund the Child". If the money follows the child, then people could determine more freely how to provide care for their children. By putting the funding solely into daycare, it leaves little option for those who might be 'on the cusp' of affording to stay home. I want more choice and I want social acceptability to come with all the choices. If, as a society, we only put dollars towards one choice then we are saying that that is the only choice with value. Personally, I think it might even be one of the least valuable choices for the children.

Comments

Janine said…
As you'll see on my blog, you got me thinking about my status as a SAHM. Of course, in my religious culture, SAHMs are very common and are cherished. I'm so glad I have that.
I know that I have felt angry in the past that my husband works hard to not only allow me to stay home, but to pay taxes that in part pay for other people's children to get childcare. I'm still not happy about that, but unsure what to do about it. I did write my MP when the $100 month Child Care Tax Benefit cheques started coming because I think its a move in the right direction.
In the end, I know my husband and sons appreciate me home, and any sacrifice financially or otherwise is worth the benefits I already see.
Annemarie said…
I have nothing of real import to say - I think you know you have my agreement.

I also just wanted to state explicitly that while society might be confused, you have MY support!!!! :) I think you're amazing, for your SAHM status and for so many other things. :)

Popular posts from this blog

SUMMER READING! #yegbookclub

Fringe #42 - Sat, Aug 19 - Three Great Musicals and More WORD OF MOUTH Recommendations!

Bringing The Color Purple to the Stage with Joyous Song and Truthful Storytelling!