A Little Music on a Sunday Afternoon...

This afternoon I went to the Winspear for a Pro Coro Canada concert. It was a fundraiser I think, but you had to buy an additional ticket for a reception and art auction following the concert. My mother got the tickets because Laurie Hawn, M.P. was singing with the celebrity choir. I haven't been to hear much in the way of choral music and it sounded like a lovely afternoon. It was good. I was surprised, however, at how empty the Winspear was. This is a phenomena I have noticed in Edmonton. I have been to a number of exceptional events (and been involved in them, too) and have noticed small audiences. There is a tremendous amount of good art happening in this city... why aren't there people in the seats? Is it the ticket prices? Well, some of the things I went to were very reasonable and some were very expensive so it is hard to tell. Is there too much to do? That's possible, because there always seems to be a lot to do and see in the What's On. But if that is the case, why do some people lament a lack of culture in the city (I'm talking to you, Babiak)? Bottom line: You want a city with good cultural events, then you have to go to them. And you might just have to pay for the ticket. It's probably worth it, from what I have seen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUMMER READING! #yegbookclub

Fringe #42 - Sat, Aug 19 - Three Great Musicals and More WORD OF MOUTH Recommendations!

Bringing The Color Purple to the Stage with Joyous Song and Truthful Storytelling!