Half-Life and APN

Last night I went to an APN function of sorts. Brian Dooley is the new Edmonton Liaison and he and a number of other APN folks were at the Rice Theatre lobby to meet with members and discuss what the needs of Edmonton members were. Other than "official APN people" there were only 3 members in attendance. One of these was a former APN Board member. Anyhow, it was nice to get a chance to tell what I felt I needed, although I got the distinct impression that they had an idea of their own and much of the meeting was spent brain-storming about that. Although the idea itself was not abhorrent to me, it really didn't address my personal needs. I got the impression they were targeting those playwrights who were already established at a certain level and I really am not there yet. I need help to get there.

After the "meeting" APN had arranged special tickets with The Citadel to see Half-Life. It was an hour and a half with no intermission which felt weird, especially with the 7:30 start. We were out by 9:10! Weird. Anyhow, about the show... It was well-done, however, I had some major issues with it. 90% of the show was staged with people just sitting in chairs talking to each other and having deep conversations. With regards to these conversations, many of them felt very unnatural despite being staged as a realistic and naturalistic play. The older generation was great. Their dialogue worked and was delivered wonderfully. The nurses were also very good in that respect. The adult children and the minister, however, never felt real to me. They were stilted and the words they were given seemed like no dialogue you would ever hear someone say. It really bugged me. It was also in the Shoctor and I have learned not to trust that theatre. There is a moat between the stage and the audience in that space that really damages any connection between the show and the audience. I know that part of this is because I am spoiled by Keyano. I have yet to find a large proscenium with the same intimacy here in Edmonton and area.

Comments

Unknown said…
Hi Kristen,

I saw Half-Life Easter weekend. I totally agree with your comments!! I don't know why it got all those rave reviews. Mike and I thought it was too self-conscious. Also I agree it was too small a show for the space.

Becky

Popular posts from this blog

SUMMER READING! #yegbookclub

Fringe #42 - Sat, Aug 19 - Three Great Musicals and More WORD OF MOUTH Recommendations!

Bringing The Color Purple to the Stage with Joyous Song and Truthful Storytelling!