Shaking Things Up a Bit...


I went to see Antony and Cleopatra at Walterdale Playhouse last night. I did find a date - two, in fact. My mom filled in for Mark and then at the last minute Mark showed up and bought a ticket. Mom and I went to Packrat Louie's before the show for a little supper and it was very lovely. I had only eaten 12 points earlier in the day so I was free to enjoy my dinner (I would've enjoyed it anyhow, but it was nice to know I was still being good points wise).

The show was really well done. I was impressed with it overall. I think, however, because it is a play that I was completely unfamiliar with and a tragedy it was hard to leave it with a excited rush. I find that Shakespeare's language, no matter how much it is raved about, fortifies the fourth wall instead of opening it up. You never lose the sense that a Shakespeare Play is "happening now" because the language adds the the theatricality of the production. That being said, I don't mind that. It just prevents a total emotional investment for me.

The director (who I know as a friend, so I will try to be objective) did some wonderful things with tableau and shadow. It really worked as part of the production and didn't come off as a "drama school assignment" that sometimes happens when people try to use those techniques. He also trimmed the script effectively so that it raced along and kept the audience with it. I liked that because it came in at just over 2 hours and you didn't feel bored. He did a nice job with the edits.

I was also very impressed with the overall calibre of the actors. I was very pleased with all the "men who could act and speak Shakey's language". There was a broad spectrum of ages and no one stood out as weak. Nice to see. The 3 leads were particularly good. I have only seen Cody before (Octavian) onstage. But he, Marc Antony and Cleopatra were all really strong. You believed all three of them. I also really liked Enobarbus.

My only problem, and I almost hate to comment, was a costume/make-up thing. Okay, Here you have Cleopatra, who is giving her heart and soul to her performance. She's really good. You believe her. She's funny, she's passionate, she commands the stage. She is working hard out there and doing her work well. She should be dressed in an outfit that really complements her. One that outshines the clothing of her "women". She is Cleopatra. She's in a society where the opulence of the royalty would be displayed. BUT her primary costume is plain in comparison to her handmaidens and was ill-fitted and distracting. I know it may sound petty, but I think the designer let her down. Why do the handmaidens have sparkles and more elaborate hair. Is she not the queen? I felt it was a mistake of the design. I also wished that all the Egyptian women, and most particularly Cleopatra, had stronger makeup. They looked quite washed out and all were in need of a little lipstick (dark lips ladies!). This is Egypt where the ladies use kohl and henna and paint with gold on their skin. Like I said, it is a minor issue with an otherwise successful production. I just think that all the pieces need to support the work not detract from it.

Comments

Magnolia said…
I hear you about the costumes. There was something that wasn't sitting right with me about them, and you articulated it really well.

Popular posts from this blog

SUMMER READING! #yegbookclub

Fringe #42 - Sat, Aug 19 - Three Great Musicals and More WORD OF MOUTH Recommendations!

Bringing The Color Purple to the Stage with Joyous Song and Truthful Storytelling!